A powerful winter storm is expected to affect the Northeast today, Tuesday 1.9.24 into Wednesday 1.10.24.
The National Weather Service is predicting the storm will impact our region with heavy rain, flooding, strong damaging winds, power outages, and moderate-heavy snow.
- Excessive runoff from heavy rainfall and snowmelt may result in minor to isolated moderate flooding of rivers, creeks, streams as well as flooding of other low-lying, urban, and poor drainage locations.
- Strong wind gusts are expected to result in downed trees, branches, and power outages.
- Moderate to possible heavy snow may lead to hazardous travel due to snow covered roads and poor visibilities. The weight of the wet snow combined with the very strong winds will lead to an increase risk of power outages.
- Move any outdoor furniture inside
- Ensure you have extra batteries for flashlights
- Raise belongings off of basement floor
- Charge your cell phone and other electronics
- Keep your important documents in a waterproof safe or container
- Gather extra blankets as a back-up heat source