Celebrating the holiday season with colorful lights and a tree can add more than just sparkle to the festivities—they are also a fire hazard. In fact, according to the National Fire Protection Association, a higher percentage of home fires occur during the holiday season.
To decorate the safe way, keep the following tips in mind:
- Place a Christmas tree at least three feet away from heat sources such as a fireplace or heating vent. The tree should also stand in a sturdy, water-holding stand that is refilled daily.
- Do not keep a fresh tree in your home for more than two weeks because it will dry out and become extremely flammable.
- Use lights as intended: indoor for indoor use only, and outdoor for outdoor use only.
- Look for the UL safety rating on all electrical decorations. This ensures that they have been tested for safety hazards.
- Throw away light strings that are cracked or have exposed or loose wires.
At Tooher-Ferraris Insurance Group we don’t want your holiday fun to be spoiled with unnecessary mishaps, use caution when decorating and enjoy the season safely!
© 2010, 2012 Zywave, Inc. All rights reserved.